The Quartermain House B&B is a 5-star establishment that promises guests a tranquil stay in a heritage building on historic Waterloo Row, situated along the Saint John River. This prime location is only a ten-minute stroll from the scenic downtown Fredericton.
Praised by guests, Quartermain House has been honored as the #1 Bed & Breakfast in North America according to Booking.com’s user reviews. It has also earned a #2 ranking globally. These recognitions were derived from Booking.com‘s analysis of 20 million customer reviews.
Constructed in the 1840s, this Gothic Revival style two-and-a-half storey house is nestled at the intersection of Waterloo Row and Shore Street in Fredericton. This wooden frame construction, complete with a front veranda adorned with pillars and a rear ell, stands on a spacious open lot with views of the Saint John River.
The heritage value of the residence lies in its architectural style and the prominence of its previous owners. The house is an excellent representation of the domestic application of the Gothic Revival style.
Historically, the Gothic Revival style was associated with public and church architecture, intertwining Anglicanism and English nationalism, most notably represented in Christ Church Cathedral. This stylistic preference in both church and home design indicates the influence and ideals of the first Bishop of Fredericton, John Medley. Originally from Exeter, England, Bishop Medley arrived in Fredericton in 1845, and construction on Christ Church Cathedral began shortly after under the guidance of architect Frank Wills. The impact of the Gothic Revival architectural style on local housing is evident both during and after the Cathedral’s construction phase.
As early as 1871, this house was home to Professor Thomas Harrison. Having received his education at Trinity College, Dublin, Dr. Harrison later taught at the Sheffield Academy, York County, New Brunswick. In 1870, Harrison moved to Fredericton to take up his appointment as Professor of English Language and Literature at the University of New Brunswick. He resided in this house until 1885 when he became President of the University.
This Gothic Revival house was owned by New Brunswick Premier and Lieutenant-Governor, John Babbit McNair, for over forty years. J.B. McNair and his wife Marion (Crocket) McNair acquired the house in 1926, a few years before Mr. McNair entered politics. First elected in 1935, J.B. McNair represented York County and simultaneously served as Attorney General. Sworn in as Premier in 1940, McNair set a New Brunswick record by serving four consecutive terms. Appointed Chief Justice of the New Brunswick Supreme Court in 1955 and becoming the 22nd Lieutenant-Governor of the province in 1968, McNair maintained his private life at 92 Waterloo Row throughout his political career.
This post has already been read 2180 times!