Loyalists Duncan and John McLeod built this house (12-14 Waterloo Row) with its gambrel roof over a two-storey frame around 1785-86 and established an inn on the site in 1791.
This popular New England roof-form offered the most efficient way of providing a third floor needed in a busy inn. McLeod’s Inn had comfortable rooms, good food, and a list of distinguished colonial guests.
It is today one of the few survivors of the many 18th century inns along Fredericton’s waterfront. Around 1880 the building was made into two residences and now consists of apartments.
This post has already been read 706 times!Follow Us on Social Media