The Owens Museum of Fine Art, 61 York Street in Sackville was opened in 1895 on the campus of Mount Allison University. The Gallery is located in a historically significant, 19th-century building designed by Toronto architect Edmund Burke, one of Canada’s most important and influential architects, to accommodate the teaching of fine arts at the Mount Allison Ladies’ College, and to house a collection of approximately 300 works of art and statuary acquired by Mount Allison in 1893. The Gallery has a long association with the education of women artists, and continues today to explore this important history through its exhibitions, research, publishing, education and community outreach , and the development of the Permanent Collection.
The original Owens Art Institution was founded in Saint John by John Owens, a Shipbuilder who specified in his will that money be set aside “for the purpose of establishing a gallery or school of art.” Before his death, John Owens had provided funding for the construction and operation of a church in Saint John. This church was later converted by Owens’ executors into the Owens Art Institution. In 1884, Owens’ executor, Robert Reed, hired Canadian artist, John Hammond, to assist with purchasing and assembling an art collection and to teach art classes at the Institution. From May 1884 to September 1885, John Hammond traveled in Britain and Europe, buying works of art and shipping them back to Saint John where Robert Reed organized them for display in the new gallery. Robert Reed’s interest and knowledge of art is reflected in many of the artworks which he purchased and contributed to the collection. At least one third of the original collection was work selected by Robert Reed.
Although the Owens Art Institution flourished in Saint John for many years, in 1893, the collection was transferred to Mount Allison University and the Owens Art Gallery was established in Sackville. John Hammond was transferred to Sackville with the Owens collection and continued to conduct art classes at the Mount Allison Ladies’ College as he had done in Saint John. The collection of artworks and statuary was permanently displayed at the gallery for teaching purposes. Several of the original paintings in the Owens collection are marked with brushstrokes of paint from students trying to match their palettes with those of the original painting which they were copying.
In 1965, the Gairdner Fine Arts Building was constructed next door to the Owens to house the Department of Fine Arts.
Through grants from the estates of Dr. J.A. Gairdner and Marjorie Young Bell, the Owens Museum underwent extensive interior renovations to serve the sole functions of an art gallery with expanded exhibition space and the construction of a Conservation Laboratory. On October 20, 1972 the building was reopened as the Owens Art Gallery. With the change in function from an art school to an art gallery exclusively, the Owens hired its first full-time Director, Luke Rombout, who served from 1967 to 1970.
The Gallery’s collection contains 3200 works of art including paintings, photographs, prints, sculpture and multi-media work by established Canadian and International Artists.
The collection began with an initial group of approximately 300 predominantly European paintings, prints and drawings acquired in 1885 as a teaching collection for art students to study and copy.
A few significant gifts were made to the Owens’ collection in the 1940s but it wasn’t until the late 1960s when art classes were moved from the Gallery to an adjacent building that the focus shifted towards actively developing the Gallery’s collection.
Source: Owens Art Gallery
This post has already been read 552 times!Follow Us on Social Media