Situated on the Bay of Chaleur, the Parish of New Bandon in Gloucester County is named after the town of Bandon in Ireland. The region stretches from Teaques Brook to Maisonette and was settled in 1819 by several families from Bandon, County Cork, Ireland. The area encompasses the communities of Janeville, Clifton, Stonehaven, New Bandon, and Canobie and is approximately 30km from Caraquet.
In the early church, due to the absence of a clergyman, congregation members would lead services. The session held the authority to discipline any member who strayed from the right path, and if necessary, admonishment would occur publicly during Sunday service. Unresolved personal disputes between members led to the loss of membership. Extended periods passed without the presence of clergy, but when one visited, people from different denominations would gather for the Sacrament, sometimes even converting religions.
The first church constructed in this “downshore” region was the Presbyterian Church in New Bandon. In 1830, Richard and Martha Dawson, along with Henry Smith, deeded land to John Richie, Charles Bateman, and others for the establishment of a church, cemetery, and schoolhouse. This church, built in 1830, served the community for many years, and although it no longer exists, the cemetery remains.
In 1884, a committee was formed to build a new church, deciding to locate it halfway between New Bandon and Clifton. William Jennings donated land in Stonehaven for the construction. Work began in 1884, with volunteers including William Jennings, Howard Good, John Breckenridge, Telemachus Rodgers, Wallace Daley, Henry Scott, James Scott, Francis Robinson, Thomas Knowles, Francis Scott, and John Daley. The project was completed in 1889.
Click on a thumbnail to see more photos.
This post has already been read 2254 times!